At the next family gathering bring along family group sheets and ask specific questions.
Ask your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, anyone who is willing to share with you.
- where they were born
- where they grew up
- where and when they were married
- what their parents’ names were
- when their parents married
- where their parents are buried
- whether there are any other family members buried there or close by
Ask your parents who their aunts and uncles are
- Do they know when and where these aunts and uncles were born, married, lived and buried?
Ask them who their oldest living relative is. Make plans to visit this person as soon as possible and record or video their comments (with their permission of course!)
Asking the right connections will go a long way to getting you started on your family tree research.